Rafa Angel asked me to write a review of Galana to read during "Galana Challenge", a challenge that the Insular throws horses and mares that have qualified during the year. Here I will share them for those unable to be in the Island. Take this opportunity to thank Pepe Llenín by the anecdotes he shared his conversations with me Baby Beltran, David Lang by date information and features of Galana, and Arsdelicata for information pedigrees.
Our race is formed on the inheritance of an outstanding group of animals: horses and mares that left a mark on the history of Paso Fino, and whose descendants still arouses passions among owners, breeders and enthusiasts.
Among this select group, a mare stands out above the rest for their qualities and their genetic power. And if we consider Sweet Dream as the "Father of the Race", this mare should give him the title of "Mother of Modern Paso Fino". I mean the great mare Galana.
Galana was born in 1951. He was mated by renowned breeder Joseph B. Ramirez Acosta on his farm "La Australia" located in the Lajas Valley. She was the daughter of Florido horse, which in turn was the son of Pendant in India for Sweet Dream. His mother was the mare Marina, the daughter of Pharaoh Battle in Salinas. It was registered in the Federation with registration number 1133.
Baby Beltran Account mid 50s, Don José Ramírez Acosta had decided to sell some animals and he went to visit his farm Lajas in search of the Galana filly. He was accompanied by teacher Don Toño Kuilan flange. Upon arrival, and Ramirez Acosta had sold the filly to a breeder named Carolina Angulo. Not finding, on the recommendation of Don Toño, Beltrán bought two daughters horse Battle: Marina's mother Galana, and La Bruja, who later became the mother of Kofresí. A short time later, Beltran makes him an approach to Angulo and get buy from Galana by $ 800. As comparative data, Marina and La Bruja had cost $ 600 each, which was a considerable sum at that time.
Galana went to live with Marina, The Witch and Rainbow to the estate of Don Toño in Dorado. There had three of the most important horses had our race: Kofresí, Don toqui and Carabalí, along with a battery of colts and fillies that would be the envy of any breeder. On a historical note, Beltrán often shared his success as a breeder Don Toño, who advised him that made crossings.
Galana was a chestnut mare closed color, good size and nice conformation. He never formally tamed for competition -at that time the mares were intended mostly for recría-, but was distinguished by his great verve, finesse and speed. Beltran at that time, where men walked only on horses occasionally Don Toño escaped to visit "girlfriends" in Galana says. So impressive were his walk and elegance!
Besides Joseph B. Ramirez Acosta and Wilfredo "Baby" Beltran, Galana also belonged to Genarín Cautiño and Nonon Figueroa. A sample of the great breeders become so because they recognize the immense value of the mares, especially mares extraordinary, superior qualities and race proven background as Galana.
Galana crossed with the best pimps of his time, let's remember those crossings to understand the enormous genetic legacy that this mare has brought to our race.
With Kahifás occurred
- Galanilla (1954), mother of Dominguito (Sunday) and grandmother of Caribbean Sunday.
With Rainbow produced three outstanding mares,
- Cosita Linda (1957), mother of Cocoroco and challenging;
- Vicky (1959), mother of Ulesati, Conquistador, Bonbon, Idol, Tauris of Tanamá, Hunaya, Flamenco Kofresí and Decalaf di Amoreto;
- Perla Fina (1961), mother Tanamá coquette.
With Candelaria occurred
- Cleo (1960), Mother Hummingbird, Pentagram, Kofresita and Jacaguas.
With Fury to
- Desired (1970).
With Blossom occurred
- Galano (1971), father of Galen, Wasp and The Guarabeña.
Its intersection with Kofresí was a legendary crossroads produced some of the greatest legends of our race,
- Galanita (1962), mother of Cialito, Abolengo, Kofrega and Galanita II;
- Siboney the Witch (1966), arguably the finest horse that has had our race, and father of Botafogo, Adaesed, Maria de los Angeles, Hex and Abeyno;
- Cucululú (1967), mother of Cucululu II, Kofresí II (Petrocheli), Toro Black Jr, and Voltio Cucululú Fury Jr;
- Glorivee (1969), mother of Nightmare and Piel Canela;
- Sangie (1972), mother of Bolivar II;
- Countess (1973), mother of Spring and Nightmare Desvelo.
Among his grandchildren are some of the most renowned examples of our time ... we mention only a few because the list is huge,
- Caribbean Domingo;
- El Duende;
- Vanessa flower;
- Carnival Kofresí;
- Return Cialito;
- Sound of Cialito;
- Serpentine (Wendolyn mother and grandmother Caribbean Domingo and Cuentas Claras);
- Miguela of Cialito (mother Sovereign Lord);
- Belinda (mother Majestic Replica);
- Carfrega (mother of controversy Labriego);
- Finesse (father of Lineage d'Excellence);
- Orchid (mother of Red Beard);
- Watermark Labriego;
- Fantasy Labriego;
- Don Antonio;
- Don Perignon;
- and Jerry.
Galana is one of the pillars of our race ... and 60 years later, his legacy lives on in our specimens.
Long live Galana ... and what viva el Paso Fino !!!