Rafa Angel asked me to write a review of Galana to read during the "Galana Challenge", a challenge that the Insular launch horses and mares that have qualified during the year. Here I will share them for those unable to be in the Island. Take this opportunity to thank Pepe Llenín anecdotes shared by his conversations with me Baby Beltran, David Lang for information on dates and characteristics of Galana, and Arsdelicata information for pedigrees.
Our race is formed on the legacy of a remarkable group of animals: horses and mares that left a mark on the history of the Paso Fino, and whose descendants still arouses passions among owners, breeders and enthusiasts.
Among this select group, a mare stands out above the rest for their qualities and their genetic power. And if we consider Sweet Dream as the "Father of the Race", this mare should give him the title of "Mother of the Modern Paso Fino". I mean the great mare Galana.
Galana born in 1951 she was mated by renowned breeder Joseph B. Ramirez Acosta on his farm "The Australia" located in the Lajas Valley. She was the daughter of Florido horse, which in turn was the son of India said by Sweet Dream. His mother was the mare Marina, Salinas daughter Battle for Pharaoh. It was registered in the Federation with Registration Number 1133.
Baby Beltran has that mid-50s, Don Jose Ramirez Acosta had decided to sell some animals and he went to visit his farm in search of Lajas Galana filly. He was accompanied by teacher Don Toño Kuilan flange. Upon arrival, Ramirez and Acosta had sold the filly to a breeder named Carolina Angulo. Not finding the recommendation of Don Toño, Beltran bought two daughters horse Battle: Marina's mother Galana, and La Bruja, who later became the mother of Kofresí. Shortly later, Beltran makes it an angle and approach to get by buying from Galana $ 800. For comparison, Marina and The Witch had cost $ 600 each, which was a considerable sum at that time.
Galana went to live with Marina, The Witch and Rainbow to the estate of Don Toño in Dorado. They were born three of the most important horses have had our race Kofresí, Don toqui and Carabalí, along with a battery of colts and fillies that would be the envy of any breeder. On a historical note, Beltran often shared his success as a breeder Don Toño, who advised him that made crossings.
Galana was a chestnut mare closed color, good size and nice conformation. He never formally tamed for the time-in competition mares were intended mostly for recría-, but is distinguished by its great verve, finesse and speed. Beltran at that time, where men walked only in horses, occasionally escaped Don Toño visit "brides" in Galana says. So impressive were his gait and elegance!
Besides Joseph B. Acosta Ramirez and Wilfredo "Baby" Beltran Galana also belonged to Genarín Nonon Cautiño and Figueroa. A sample of the great breeders become so because they recognize the immense value of mares, especially mares extraordinary, superior qualities and race proven background as Galana.
Galana crossed with the best pimps of his time, let's remember those crosses to understand the huge genetic legacy that this mare has brought to our race.
With Kahifás produced
- Galanilla (1954), mother of Dominguito (Sunday) and grandmother of Caribbean Sunday.
With Rainbow produced three extraordinary mares
- Cosita Linda (1957), mother of Cocoroco and challenging;
- Vicky (1959), mother of Ulesati, Conquistador, Blossom Idol of Tanamá Tauris, Hunaya, Flamenco and Decalaf Kofresí di Amoreto;
- Perla Fina (1961), mother of Tanamá coquette.
With Candelaria produced
- Cleo (1960), mother of Hummingbird, Pentagram, and Jacaguas Kofresita.
With a Fury
- Desired (1970).
With Blossom produced
- Galano (1971), father of Galen, The Wasp and The Guarabeña.
Its junction with Kofresí was a legendary crossing which produced some of the greatest legends of our race,
- Galanita (1962), mother of Cialito, Abolengo, Galanita Kofrega and II;
- Siboney the Witch (1966), arguably the finest horse that has had our race, and father of Botafogo, Adaesed, Mary of the Angels, Bewitched and Abeyno;
- Cucululú (1967), mother of Cucululu II, Kofresí II (Petrocheli), Bull Black Jr, Fury Jr Cucululú and Volt;
- Glorivee (1969), mother of Nightmare and Piel Canela;
- Sangie (1972), mother of Bolivar II;
- Countess (1973) Spring and mother Nightmare Desvelo.
Among her grandchildren are some of the most recognized pieces of our time ... mention only a few because the list is immense,
- Caribbean Domingo;
- El Duende;
- Vanessa Flower;
- Carnival Kofresí;
- Return Cialito;
- Sound of Cialito;
- Serpentine (Wendolyn mother and grandmother of Dominic and Caribbean Cuentas Claras);
- Miguela of Cialito (mother Sovereign Lord);
- Belinda (mother Majestic Replica);
- Carfrega (mother Labriego controversy);
- Finesse (father of Lineage d'Excellence);
- Orchid (dam of Red Beard);
- Filigree Labriego;
- Fantasy Labriego;
- Don Antonio;
- Don Perignon;
- and Jerry.
Galana is one of the pillars of our race ... and 60 years later, his legacy lives on in our specimens.
Long live Galana ... and long live the Paso Fino !!!